Mother’s Comfort Project
- We have delivered more than 15,000 handmade beds to hundreds of animal shelters and rescue organizations and our goal is to sew and deliver thousands more!
- We started Mother’s Comfort Project in New York City in 2009 (check out our first video about it) when we discovered the shelters use linens and bedding very quickly and desperately need beds. Animal shelters can be cold and noisy. Beds comfort the animals who are coping with the stresses of the shelter, making them more likely to sleep better and fight off illnesses that can run through shelters.
- Giving dogs and cats a bed soothes them, and we can tell you from experience, every one of them we've met gives thanks with their own show of gratitude — lovey eyes, waggy tails, purrs and licks. You can see how much the animals appreciate a bed made with love.
- We have made thousands of catnip toys, giving cats a boost and some fun, and also making them look more perky for potential adopters.
- We sew our signature patch featuring our founder's late grandmother, Fannie Shapiro with a Baltimore Oriole, is sewn on every bed so animal caregivers know they are receiving quality, durable, machine-washable beds and toys.
- We need your support to keep this project going, so if you’d like to help, please make a donation. Funds go directly to cover our costs of batting, sewing machines, sewing machine maintenance, storage, and catnip.
We coordinate sewing teams , teach sewing skills and provide humane education to schools, charitable businesses and individuals. We have been so fortunate to have the support of Deloitte and their IMPACT DAY - check out the video about it!
- Here is our bed-making tutorial to help you get started making beds.
- Currently we are operating Mother's Comfort Project chapters in New York City, Westchester, NY and Nevada County, CA.
- Want to start a chapter in your area? Contact us at [email protected]
See our other campaigns that help at-risk animals. Please help by volunteering or making a tax-deductible donation.
In Loving Memory of Rheda Brandt, Creator of the Mother’s Comfort Project
RIGHT: Rational Animal Founder, Susan Brandt, with Rheda Brandt and Ambassador Sadie Blackstar.