Prevent Dog Stealing Campaign
Learn more about National Dog Day Events on August 26th and our evening PSA screening here.
Dog theft has increased over 650% from 2008 to 2016*. This statistic is based on reported dog thefts — many thefts go unreported. In New York City, dogs left tethered but unattended are particularly vulnerable. Rational Animal has created a campaign to increase awareness about dog stealing and how we can work together to protect our dogs.
Small and large dogs are at-risk: The top 5 breeds stolen: Pit Bulls, Yorkies, Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, Labradors, and French Bulldogs.
Remind people of the dog stealing issue by —
- Sharing our latest PSA (coming soon) online to remind people about the dangers of leaving their dogs tied up.
- Contact your local TV channel and ask them to broadcast our PSA to prevent dog stealing. Please contact us for more information at email@example.com.
- Use our Prevent Dog Stealing Advocacy Flyers that can be downloaded on StoreEnvy. (Coming Soon)
- Use #Preventdogstealing to post tips and ways to help.
Tips to Keep Your Pet Safe
- Never leave your dog where you can't see him/her. It can take only a few seconds to steal a dog.
- Ask a friend to watch your dog while you go into a store that doesn't allow dogs.
- Choose dog friendly locations to patronize while out with your dog.
- Microchip your dog. If you dog were to be stolen, a microchip registered to you will ensure increased chances of finding your dog if they are stolen and resold. Vets can scan the microchip and contact you.
Why do people steal dogs?
- Pets are sold on Craigslist, or through the black market.
- Pets are held for ransom while awaiting a reward from the pet owner.
- Pets are given away as gifts to family and friends.
- Pets are used as bait in dog-fighting rings.
- Pets command a high price if the dog is a pure breed.
- Some people may think they are ‘rescuing” because they think the dog is abandoned or abused.
- Someone may want your pet to keep for themselves.
Protect your best friend!
Never tie your dog outside of a store and leave unattended.
Help us spread the word via social media — we have a new public service announcement about this topic coming soon — sign in to volunteer today!
*Source: American Kennel Club
Premiere Screening of Dog Stealing Prevention PSA produced by Rational Animal
August 26, 7–9pm
Refreshments will be provided.
Fine art music photography on view featuring Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced Album photography
Please leave dogs in the comfort of your home for this event.
Suggested donation of $5 to attend
Location: Morrison Hotel Gallery, 116 Prince St., 2nd Fl., NYC
Give us a call to learn about volunteer opportunities!
© Rational Animal 2014. All Rights Reserved